v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Doran, Mitchell (Student)
v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Guys,

Just want to clarify that there is no way to get the v4lsrc plugin back into gstreamer0.10?

I can barely find any information on this and my firewire camera along with applications only support v4l not v4l2

Regards,

Mitch

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

Re: v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Sebastian Dröge-7
On Mo, 2013-05-27 at 13:43 +0930, Doran, Mitchell (Student) wrote:
> UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just want to clarify that there is no way to get the v4lsrc plugin
> back into gstreamer0.10?
>
> I can barely find any information on this and my firewire camera along
> with applications only support v4l not v4l2

You mean into gstreamer 1.0? v4l2 support was removed from newer Linux
kernels and is not really supported anymore since years, that's why it
was removed. It's probably a better option to port the v4l driver of
your firewire camera to v4l2 than to port and continue to maintain the
v4l GStreamer plugin.

Re: v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Edward Hervey
On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 13:43 +0930, Doran, Mitchell (Student) wrote:
> UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just want to clarify that there is no way to get the v4lsrc plugin
> back into gstreamer0.10?
>
> I can barely find any information on this and my firewire camera along
> with applications only support v4l not v4l2

  If it's a firewire camera ... shouldn't you be using dv1394src or
hdv1394src ?

    Edward

> Regards,
> Mitch
>
> IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of
> Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes
> Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested
> to contact the sender and delete the email.

RE: v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Doran, Mitchell (Student)
UNCLASSIFIED

That would make sense. I'm pretty unfamiliar with gstreamer. The
application I am trying to run tries to get a video stream from my
webcam using gstreamer v4lsrc or v4l2src.

Back to dv1394. Here is the command I have been trying, along with other
variations. (I have to hand type this because my Ubuntu machine has no
internet access at the present)

Sudo gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! Dvdemux ! Queue ! Dvdec ! Videoscale !
Ffmpegcolorspace ! Capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv, width=320,
height=240" ! Xvimagesink Setting pipeline to PAUSED Pipeline is live
and does not need PREROLL Setting pipeline to PLAYING
Newclock: dvd1394 clock.

It stays like this until I stop the application. I can never actually
get a window to draw on X though and actually see my webcam feed. From
what I can gather Xvimagesink and ximagesink are supposed to draw a
window, is that correct?
I'm not getting any error messages so I am assuming that this pipeline
is getting my video into the sink, but where it is after that is beyond
the scope of my knowledge.

If I can get this dv1394src to work properly, I may be able to patch the
application I am running to take the video stream from this rather than
v4lsrc.

So, how can I actually see my video feed to test that my webcam is
working?

Regards,
Mitch

gstreamer-devel-bounces+mitchell.doran=[hidden email]
ktop.org
.freedesktop.org] On Behalf Of Edward Hervey
Sent: Monday, 27 May 2013 4:56 PM
To: Discussion of the development of and with GStreamer
Subject: Re: v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 13:43 +0930, Doran, Mitchell (Student) wrote:
> UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just want to clarify that there is no way to get the v4lsrc plugin
> back into gstreamer0.10?
>
> I can barely find any information on this and my firewire camera along

> with applications only support v4l not v4l2

  If it's a firewire camera ... shouldn't you be using dv1394src or
hdv1394src ?

    Edward

> Regards,
> Mitch
>
> IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of
> Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes

> Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested
> to contact the sender and delete the email.

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence
and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914.
If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.

Re: v4lsrc [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Edward Hervey-3
Hi,

  What kind of camera is this ?
  Do you get any warnings with the simplest pipeline (i.e. GST_DEBUG=2
gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! fakesink) ?

   Edward

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 17:05 +0930, Doran, Mitchell (Student) wrote:

> UNCLASSIFIED
>
> That would make sense. I'm pretty unfamiliar with gstreamer. The
> application I am trying to run tries to get a video stream from my
> webcam using gstreamer v4lsrc or v4l2src.
>
> Back to dv1394. Here is the command I have been trying, along with other
> variations. (I have to hand type this because my Ubuntu machine has no
> internet access at the present)
>
> Sudo gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! Dvdemux ! Queue ! Dvdec ! Videoscale !
> Ffmpegcolorspace ! Capsfilter caps="video/x-raw-yuv, width=320,
> height=240" ! Xvimagesink Setting pipeline to PAUSED Pipeline is live
> and does not need PREROLL Setting pipeline to PLAYING
> Newclock: dvd1394 clock.
>
> It stays like this until I stop the application. I can never actually
> get a window to draw on X though and actually see my webcam feed. From
> what I can gather Xvimagesink and ximagesink are supposed to draw a
> window, is that correct?
> I'm not getting any error messages so I am assuming that this pipeline
> is getting my video into the sink, but where it is after that is beyond
> the scope of my knowledge.
>
> If I can get this dv1394src to work properly, I may be able to patch the
> application I am running to take the video stream from this rather than
> v4lsrc.
>
> So, how can I actually see my video feed to test that my webcam is
> working?
>
> Regards,
> Mitch

Didn't get any warnings or errors with GST_DEBUG=2. When I tried
GST_DEBUG 3 there also seemed nothing suspicious. We are using an old
camera from Basler.
http://www.baslerweb.com/products/scout.html?model=147

I feel like maybe the issue could be with my X11

Mitch.

Sent: Monday, 27 May 2013 5:17 PM
To: Discussion of the development of and with GStreamer

Sent: Monday, 27 May 2013 5:17 PM