show stream in webpage

alex_jeff
Hi,
I need to send a stream to a webpage so that the user can see the stream
using a browser. I have already installed a webserver (apache) on my target
system (which is an embedded system running debian9), I have spent hours of
googling to find a solution, none of them were successful, I was wondering
if someone could make it clear whether this is possible or not, if its
possible, could you please give me an example for that. I think I have
already tried almost every related example I found on the net.

Best Regards,
Alex.

P.S: stability and latency really matter for my application.

Re: show stream in webpage

Simon Brown
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 20:12, alex_jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I need to send a stream to a webpage so that the user can see the stream
using a browser. I have already installed a webserver (apache) on my target
system (which is an embedded system running debian9), I have spent hours of
googling to find a solution, none of them were successful, I was wondering
if someone could make it clear whether this is possible or not, if its
possible, could you please give me an example for that. I think I have
already tried almost every related example I found on the net.

Best Regards,
Alex.

P.S: stability and latency really matter for my application.

Hi Alex,
I've been trying to do the same thing, and have attempted to use the gstwebrtc-demos sendrecv program.  But I keep getting errors when it's trying to connect.
But in theory that's the lowest latency option.

Let me know how you get on.
Regards,
Simon

R C

Re: show stream in webpage

R C
Hello,

I have been wrestling with that a while ago too, and decided to convert a steam (rtsp) into a format (I believe it was mpg4) that browsers understand.

I can look up the command-line 'contraption', once I get home (I actually used it in a piece of C code)

thanks,

Ron

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:20 AM Simon Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

RE: show stream in webpage

Rand Graham-2

Hello,

Have you looked into the hlssink? This will produce an hls stream that can be viewed in a browser.

HLS implies that you will be using a transport stream container, x264 video and aac audio.

Slomo’s blog

https://coaxion.net/blog/2014/05/http-adaptive-streaming-with-gstreamer/

See slide 9 for example gst-launch:

https://www.slideshare.net/rmcore/introduction-to-gstreamer

More recently there has been support added to gstreamer for webrtc. I haven’t used it but it is an option.

Regards,

Rand

R C

Re: show stream in webpage

R C

this is what I use,  I do that in a daemon written in C though:

"uridecodebin uri=%s name=d ! queue ! theoraenc ! oggmux name=m ! tcpserversink host=192.168.x.y port=8080 d. ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! flacenc ! m."

where the %s in uri=%s,  is the url of where your rtsp stream is coming from.

Ron

On 12/3/19 3:19 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
[...]

Hi Ron,
Thanks for that - I'm looking at tcpserversink now, and think it should do what I need, but there's very little documentation on it.  One page I found suggests it will serve video to a TCP/HTTP connection.  But if my page is HTTPS, can it also serve it over an HTTPS connection?  And does the web browser then need to connect to two different ports (the standard HTTPS port and the video HTTP/S port)?

Cheers,
Simon

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 03:17, R C <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

R C

Re: show stream in webpage

R C
Hello Simon,

I am by no means an expert on using gstreamer, the applications nor libraries, and I somewhat struggled to get things going.

I might be way off, totally wrong, but from what I understand is that tcpserversink is more like a mechanism/feature one uses to create an endpoint for (a) stream(s). (of course you can change that stream with all kinds of options). I believe it's intended use is more for when you have a whole bunch of streams and want to make one stream of it with multiple "channels" so you can direct that stream or it's channels elsewhere, as if it were an object as in coding. (I am sure I am totally wrong with the exact terminology).  You would still have to "tap into it" by embedding it in some HTML object (regardless if you would use HTTP or HTTPS, because it is still a stream and not some well defined thing a browser would understand.  At some point I was actually looking at apache server plugins to connect to a tcpserversink (I tried some other sinks too), but that got too complicated, I just wanted something that could display IP cameras in an HTML window/object and was not looking into moving around video streams most efficiently

I actually tried using it, and couldn't figure it out.  That why I decided to use the thing that I sent earlier, it was easier for me to understand, and did what I want,  embed a stream in to a browser, that most (preferably all) browsers would understand.

The stream I converted it into looks like a URL to a "movie file" and is "HTTP",  I can do that because I access those cameras over a separate network, and nothing else is on it.  Serving it just depends on how you set (for example) your apache server up. I guess you could stream using a HTTPS URI instead of a HTTP one,  but it sounds like you would need some extra filters, a certificate etc etc etc. (and I didn't want to go there either.)

anyway,  the thing I posted earlier seems to work for me,  I never reallygot the tcpserversink mechanism to work for embedding a stream into a web page.

Ron