seek support in gstbasesrc

google_effected
Hello!

I am new to gstreamer. i want to implement seek support for a class derived from gstbasesrc. i couldn't find any documentation that can help me out. Please if anyone can help ASAP

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

Zheng, Huan
Reading the code of filesrc or some other seekable elements that derived from GstBaseSrc will help you out. Enjoy :)

Best Regards, Zheng, Huan(ZBT)
OTC/SSD/SSG
Intel Asia-Pacific Research & Developement Ltd
Tel: 021-6116 6435
Inet: 8821 6435
I am new to gstreamer. i want to implement seek support for a class derived
from gstbasesrc. i couldn't find any documentation that can help me out.
Please if anyone can help ASAP

I am new to gstreamer. i want to implement seek support for a class derived
from gstbasesrc. i couldn't find any documentation that can help me out.
Please if anyone can help ASAP

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

Tim-Philipp Müller-2
On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 01:06 -0700, google_effected wrote:

Hi guy hiding behind random pseudonym,

> I have posted this message after reading the source code of filesrc and and
> some other elements.I couldn't get a clear idea of what to do. please help
> me out if any one knows about it!

Is there anything in particular that you don't understand after reading
the code?

Do you want to do seeking in pull mode or push mode, ie. does your
source allow random access or are seeks possible but fairly expensive?

Cheers
 -Tim

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

google_effected
well.... can i have ur email id so that i can chat to u one-to-one. this will help me in telling u what do i exactly wanna know

Tim-Philipp Müller wrote
On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 01:06 -0700, google_effected wrote:

Hi guy hiding behind random pseudonym,

> I have posted this message after reading the source code of filesrc and and
> some other elements.I couldn't get a clear idea of what to do. please help
> me out if any one knows about it!

Is there anything in particular that you don't understand after reading
the code?

Do you want to do seeking in pull mode or push mode, ie. does your
source allow random access or are seeks possible but fairly expensive?

Cheers
 -Tim

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

Wim Taymans
On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 01:06 -0700, google_effected wrote:

> I have posted this message after reading the source code of filesrc and and
> some other elements.I couldn't get a clear idea of what to do. please help
> me out if any one knows about it!

Did you also read the basesrc documentation? Can you tell us what you
didn't understand from reading the documentation? What can we do to
improve the documentation?

Also filesrc has a pretty straightforward implementation, basically it
keeps track of the current read_position, then does a seek to the new
position when the requested offset in _create does not match.

Wim

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 02:41 -0700, google_effected wrote:
> well.... can i have ur email id so that i can chat to u one-to-one. this will
> help me in telling u what do i exactly wanna know

You can tell us what you want to know here, this makes other people
benefit from the answers too. You should probably not send mails to a
private individual..

Wim

> Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 01:06 -0700, google_effected wrote:
> >
> > Hi guy hiding behind random pseudonym,
> >
> >> I have posted this message after reading the source code of filesrc and
> >> and
> >> some other elements.I couldn't get a clear idea of what to do. please
> >> help
> >> me out if any one knows about it!
> >
> > Is there anything in particular that you don't understand after reading
> > the code?
> >
> > Do you want to do seeking in pull mode or push mode, ie. does your
> > source allow random access or are seeks possible but fairly expensive?
> >
> > Cheers
> >  -Tim

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

google_effected

all im confused about is that what do i have to update in _src_do_seek() to get seek implemented. e.g. arguments that im getting in do_seek are segment and  src. so what should i update among segment entities to let the pipeline know. e.g. if im reading from socket and i want to seek 15 sec fwd/rewind, what i'll have to do in do_seek()?

Wim Taymans-2 wrote

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 03:13 -0700, google_effected wrote:

> all im confused about is that what do i have to update in _src_do_seek() to
> get seek implemented. e.g. arguments that im getting in do_seek are segment
> and  src.

The segment contains the newly configured playback segment after the
seek. The last_stop field contains the stream time (value between 0 and
the duration) where your source should seek to. If you can only
approximately seek to that requested position, you can modify last_stop
to where the seek really went to.

> so what should i update among segment entities to let the pipeline
> know. e.g. if im reading from socket and i want to seek 15 sec fwd/rewind,
> what i'll have to do in do_seek()?

Your source does never decide to seek 15 seconds forwards or backwards,
that decision is made by the application.

Wim

> Wim Taymans-2 wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 02:41 -0700, google_effected wrote:
> >> well.... can i have ur email id so that i can chat to u one-to-one. this
> >> will
> >> help me in telling u what do i exactly wanna know
> >
> > You can tell us what you want to know here, this makes other people
> > benefit from the answers too. You should probably not send mails to a
> > private individual..
> >
> > Wim

> >> and

> >> professionals.
> >> Barbarian

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

google_effected
letme tell u the com[plete scenario and what i have percieved: im reading a file from socket. in case a seek request come, in do_Seek(), i'll get the destination offset from segment->last_offset (point till where i have to seek). then i'll disconnect the connection with remote webserver and send connection request with destination offset. and thats it?
wont i have to do anything in create_read() or wont i have to modify read_position or any other member of segment?

Wim Taymans-2 wrote
On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 03:13 -0700, google_effected wrote:

> all im confused about is that what do i have to update in _src_do_seek() to
> get seek implemented. e.g. arguments that im getting in do_seek are segment
> and  src.

The segment contains the newly configured playback segment after the
seek. The last_stop field contains the stream time (value between 0 and
the duration) where your source should seek to. If you can only
approximately seek to that requested position, you can modify last_stop
to where the seek really went to.

> so what should i update among segment entities to let the pipeline
> know. e.g. if im reading from socket and i want to seek 15 sec fwd/rewind,
> what i'll have to do in do_seek()?

Your source does never decide to seek 15 seconds forwards or backwards,
that decision is made by the application.

Wim

> Wim Taymans-2 wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 02:41 -0700, google_effected wrote:
> >> well.... can i have ur email id so that i can chat to u one-to-one. this
> >> will
> >> help me in telling u what do i exactly wanna know
> >
> > You can tell us what you want to know here, this makes other people
> > benefit from the answers too. You should probably not send mails to a
> > private individual..
> >
> > Wim

> >> and

> >> professionals.
> >> Barbarian

Re: seek support in gstbasesrc

google_effected
letme tell u the com[plete scenario and what i have percieved: im reading a file from socket. in case a seek request come, in do_Seek(), i'll get the destination offset from segment->last_offset (point till where i have to seek). then i'll disconnect the connection with remote webserver and send connection request with destination offset. and thats it?
wont i have to do anything in create_read() or wont i have to modify read_position or any other member of segment or buffer val or ANYTHING else?

Wim Taymans-2 wrote