querry : filesrc element

arnabsamanta
 Hi
        I am trying to understand the filesrc element implementation.
        My previous idea was that the data is pushed into the srcpad through
"gst_pad_push" with srcpad and data buffer pointer as argument supplied to
this function.
        But am unable to view any such similar kind of function related to pad
push() here in filesrc code.

        can any body please tell me how exactly the data is pushed into the next
element ?

 Regards,
        ~Arnab

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments contained in it.

Re: querry : filesrc element

Frans van Berckel
In general maybe the GStreamer Plugin Writer's Guide will be a good
starting point, chapter 2 the foundations.

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/index.html

Frans van Berckel

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 13:49 +0530, arnabsamanta wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to understand the filesrc element implementation.
> My previous idea was that the data is pushed into the srcpad through
> "gst_pad_push" with srcpad and data buffer pointer as argument supplied to
> this function.
> But am unable to view any such similar kind of function related to pad
> push() here in filesrc code.
>
> can any body please tell me how exactly the data is pushed into the next
> element ?
>
>  Regards,
> ~Arnab
>

> The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments contained in it.

Re: querry : filesrc element

arnabsamanta
Hi Frans ,
        Thanks for your reply.
        I have gone through the plug in writers guide , as you suggested.

        About the Filesrc element , it has neither a chain ( ) nor any known macro
of functions for pushing the data to the pad s .  The implementation is
different from the other plug ins which have a sink and a src pad. I could
find the similairity in implementation with filesink , udpsrc etc elements
which either comes first as src of pipeline or at last as sink of pipeline.

        Now , again my doubt is without a chain( ) and a pad_push(), how the data
is send to the next element ?
        Do we have any other mechanisms for the same ?

        ~Arnab

In general maybe the GStreamer Plugin Writer's Guide will be a good
starting point, chapter 2 the foundations.

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/index.html

Frans van Berckel

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 13:49 +0530, arnabsamanta wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to understand the filesrc element implementation.
> My previous idea was that the data is pushed into the srcpad through
> "gst_pad_push" with srcpad and data buffer pointer as argument supplied

> this function.
> But am unable to view any such similar kind of function related to pad
> push() here in filesrc code.
>
> can any body please tell me how exactly the data is pushed into the next
> element ?
>
>  Regards,
> ~Arnab

to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and
may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of
this message and any attachments contained in it.

challenge
prizes
world

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments contained in it.

Re: querry : filesrc element

ved kpl
Hi,

Filesrc is derived from basesrc. Mostly src elements will start the
streaming thread  to push the data to next element.
Look at the scheduling modes in gstreamer. Writing a src/sink element
is different than a normal filter element.
The base classes will do most of the task for you.

Ved

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:49 AM, arnabsamanta
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Frans ,
>        Thanks for your reply.
>        I have gone through the plug in writers guide , as you suggested.
>

>        About the Filesrc element , it has neither a chain ( ) nor any known macro
> of functions for pushing the data to the pad s .  The implementation is
> different from the other plug ins which have a sink and a src pad. I could
> find the similairity in implementation with filesink , udpsrc etc elements
> which either comes first as src of pipeline or at last as sink of pipeline.
>
>        Now , again my doubt is without a chain( ) and a pad_push(), how the data
> is send to the next element ?
>        Do we have any other mechanisms for the same ?
>
>        ~Arnab

Hi Ved,
                Thanks for your reply. It has been very helpful. :-)
regards,
        ~Arnab

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frans ,
>        Thanks for your reply.
>        I have gone through the plug in writers guide , as you suggested.
>

>        About the Filesrc element , it has neither a chain ( ) nor any
known macro
> of functions for pushing the data to the pad s .  The implementation is
> different from the other plug ins which have a sink and a src pad. I could
> find the similairity in implementation with filesink , udpsrc etc elements
> which either comes first as src of pipeline or at last as sink of
pipeline.

>        Now , again my doubt is without a chain( ) and a pad_push(), how
the data

> is send to the next element ?
>        Do we have any other mechanisms for the same ?
>
>        ~Arnab

Stefan Sauer
hi,
arnabsamanta schrieb:

>  Hi
> I am trying to understand the filesrc element implementation.
> My previous idea was that the data is pushed into the srcpad through
> "gst_pad_push" with srcpad and data buffer pointer as argument supplied to
> this function.
> But am unable to view any such similar kind of function related to pad
> push() here in filesrc code.
>
> can any body please tell me how exactly the data is pushed into the next
> element ?

Usually you pull from a filesrc. In many (local) playback cases the
demuxer drives the pipeline. It pulls from the src and pushes to the
decoders.

Stefan