liveadder is dead

Olivier Crête-3
Hello,

Small heads up, I just removed the "liveadder" element, it has been
replaced by an alias to audiomixer.

--
Olivier Crête

Re: liveadder is dead

Sebastian Dröge-3
On So, 2015-10-11 at 11:08 +0100, Olivier Crête wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Small heads up, I just removed the "liveadder" element, it has been
> replaced by an alias to audiomixer.

Why have an alias? It's in bad, just get rid of it completely :)

Re: liveadder is dead

Tim Müller
On Sun, 2015-10-11 at 11:08 +0100, Olivier Crête wrote:

Hi Olivier,

> Small heads up, I just removed the "liveadder" element, it has been
> replaced by an alias to audiomixer.

If we do this, let's make it backwards-compatible in a way that doesn't
potentially cause crashes in apps. liveadder had a "latency" property
of type uint (and milliseconds as unit), audiomixer has a "latency"
property of type uint64 (and nanosecs as unit), so that's not going to
work well with existing g_object_set() code as far as I can tell.

 Cheers
  -Tim

Re: liveadder is dead

Olivier Crête-3
Hello,

Because the shipping pidgin uses it, and it doesn't set the property.
This is basically the only relevant project I could find in liveadder.

Olivier

On Sun, 2015-10-11 at 11:15 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:

> On So, 2015-10-11 at 11:08 +0100, Olivier Crête wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Small heads up, I just removed the "liveadder" element, it has been
> > replaced by an alias to audiomixer.
>
> Why have an alias? It's in bad, just get rid of it completely :)

Olivier Crête

Re: liveadder is dead

Nirbheek Chauhan

On 13-Oct-2015 11:20 am, "Olivier Crête" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because the shipping pidgin uses it, and it doesn't set the property.
> This is basically the only relevant project I could find in liveadder.

I think Tim is also thinking of personal/proprietary applications that might be using it. If it's just Pidgin we care about, I think we should just nuke it and notify them about the replacement being audiomixer. It's actively harmful keeping a silently incompatible compatibility later around.

Cheers,
Nirbheek

> On Sun, 2015-10-11 at 11:15 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > On So, 2015-10-11 at 11:08 +0100, Olivier Crête wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Small heads up, I just removed the "liveadder" element, it has been
> > > replaced by an alias to audiomixer.
> >
> > Why have an alias? It's in bad, just get rid of it completely :)

> Olivier Crête

Re: liveadder is dead

On Di, 2015-10-13 at 11:18 +0100, Olivier Crête wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Because the shipping pidgin uses it, and it doesn't set the property.
> This is basically the only relevant project I could find in
> liveadder.

pidgin is not ported to 1.x yet, they just have a patch somewhere in
their bug tracker.

Re: liveadder is dead

Olivier Crête-3
Hi,

At least Fedora ships of with the 1.x patch applied.

I can write something to have a latency property in milliseconds if people really care as people seem to care more than I expected.

Olivier

--
Olivier Crête

Re: liveadder is dead

Nirbheek Chauhan

To be honest I'd just wipe it since it's better to break explicitly and have people learn the replacement than silently continue to have possibly broken code due to differences (implicit) between liveadder and audiomixer. But it's up to you. :)