ges-launch and transition type

Vincent Achard
Hey gstreamer wizards!!

About ges-launch-1.0 and transition types, I was wondering if it was
possible to select a transition type (one of those listed by
ges-launch-1.0 --list-transition) from the command line?

The online tutorial mentions it, pointing to "ges-launch-1.0 help
transition" to get more info. Alas, no info is output from this
command, as the reading of the source code suggests
(ges/ges-command-line-formatter.c).

I tried:
ges-launch-1.0 +test-clip red duration=5 +transition saloondoor-t
+test-clip blue start=2 duration=5
without luck.

I use gstreamer version 1.16.0 compiled from source,

thanks for reading,

long live gstreamer!

Vince

Re: ges-launch and transition type

Mathieu Duponchelle
Hey,

Yes, I'm afraid controlling transitions from ges-launch was left as a TODO,
the online documentation should probably not mention it, can you link
to where it is mentioned?

For now, you'll have to go through the API to control transition types, patches
to the command line formatter are obviously welcome however :)

Re: ges-launch and transition type

Vincent Achard
Thank you very much for your answer Mathieu!

> can you link to where it is mentioned?

it's *suggested* here (it only mentions "--list-transitions", which
actually works, really, it's just a little misleading).:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/tools/ges-launch.html?gi-language=c#helpful-options

> patches to the command line formatter are obviously welcome however :)

I wish I were able to do such a thing... I'm afraid reading the source
code and slightly hacking it is the best I can do... But rest assured
as soon as I can contribute I will! Gstreamer is such an amazing
project!

Thank you again.

Cheers

Vince

Re: ges-launch and transition type

Mathieu Duponchelle
Ah, I see, yeah that's technically correct, though a bit tantalizing :)

Regarding implementing support, this shouldn't be terribly difficult for what it's
worth, just need someone to have time to do so!