fix coordinates of gstreamer window

prkhr4u
I am streaming a mjpeg stream from an IPcamera as follows:
gst-launch-0.10 souphttpsrc location=http://169.254.126.124/video2.mjpg ! jpegdec ! xvimagesink
Here are 2 features I want:
1) I want to fix its coordinates to a particular position say (100,200)
2) The window should not move on mouse drag, even better if no border is displayed

How can I implement this functionality for 'souphttpsrc' and 'xvimagesink' ?

RE: fix coordinates of gstreamer window

Giles Atkinson-2
You need to use the Video Overlay Interface (http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/section-iface-xoverlay.html) to get the window ID for the output window, or you can supply your own window.   After that, the question is about X11, not GStreamer.  Short answer:

1) Give the window the override-redirect attribute.   This will work, but it is very rude, as it violates the standard guidelines for a well-behaved application.  The window will sit on top of everything else, be impossible to iconise, and so on. Or ...

2) Set the WM_NORMAL_HINTS property and lie that the information came from the user.  This is still rude but less so.  The most reliable method to make the window frameless is with the Motif hints (http://wiki.tcl.tk/13409).  They are respected by almost all window managers.

The reason why there is no good way to do what you want is that it is a bad thing to do.   You are trying to override the window manager, and the window manager's job is to let the user control their own windows.

Giles

On Mo, 2014-02-03 at 22:10 -0800, prkhr4u wrote:
> I am streaming a mjpeg stream from an IPcamera as follows:
> gst-launch-0.10 souphttpsrc location=http://169.254.126.124/video2.mjpg !
> jpegdec ! xvimagesink
> Here are 2 features I want:
> 1) I want to fix its coordinates to a particular position say (100,200)
> 2) The window should not move on mouse drag, even better if no border is
> displayed
>
> How can I implement this functionality for 'souphttpsrc' and 'xvimagesink' ?

You would create your own window in the application and use the
GstVideoOverlay (or GstXOverlay in 0.10... you should consider
upgrading) to embed xvimagesink into your own window.

With that window that you created you can do whatever you want.

Expertise, Straight from the Source

Re: fix coordinates of gstreamer window

prkhr4u
I have tried to overlay gstreamer on QWidget and is able to do the above mentioned things successfully.
But my problem is that I want to stream from multiple cameras and in QT I am able to stream only one such QWidget at a time.
Hence I want to use gst-launch as QProcess (seperate process) in QT for which I need to launch it at exact coordinates.

Isn't there any simple way to do so like setting some properties? or may be another plugin?

Re: fix coordinates of gstreamer window

Sebastian Dröge-3
On Di, 2014-02-04 at 23:50 -0800, prkhr4u wrote:
> I have tried to overlay gstreamer on QWidget and is able to do the above
> mentioned things successfully.
> But my problem is that I want to stream from multiple cameras and in QT I am
> able to stream only one such QWidget at a time.
> Hence I want to use gst-launch as QProcess (seperate process) in QT for
> which I need to launch it at exact coordinates.
>
> Isn't there any simple way to do so like setting some properties? or may be
> another plugin?

You should be able to embed multiple video sinks into different
QWidgets. If this does not work please file a bug with a test case at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org against GStreamer.

Expertise, Straight from the Source