ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Irfan Shaikh-2
ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Hi All,

      Can any one please tell me in which package can i find ffmpeg's H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.

Regards,
Irfan

This message (including any attachment) is confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to this message by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) listed above is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action taken or omission of action by you in reliance upon it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete all copies of the message if you have received this message in error.

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Wim Taymans
On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>       Can any one please tell me in which package can i find ffmpeg's
> H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.

Are you making up element names? That element does not exist and neither
does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.

Regards,
Wim

> Regards,
> Irfan
>

> This message (including any attachment) is confidential and may be
> legally privileged. Access to this message by anyone other than the
> intended recipient(s) listed above is unauthorized. If you are not the
> intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> copying, or distribution of the message, or any action taken or
> omission of action by you in reliance upon it, is prohibited and may
> be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
> permanently delete all copies of the message if you have received this
> message in error.

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Edward Hervey
On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
> >

> > Hi All,
> >
> >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i find ffmpeg's
> > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>
> Are you making up element names? That element does not exist and neither
> does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.

  Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg ergo...
x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.

    Edward

> Regards,
> Wim
> >
> > Regards,
> > Irfan
> >

> > This message (including any attachment) is confidential and may be
> > legally privileged. Access to this message by anyone other than the
> > intended recipient(s) listed above is unauthorized. If you are not the
> > intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> > copying, or distribution of the message, or any action taken or
> > omission of action by you in reliance upon it, is prohibited and may
> > be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
> > permanently delete all copies of the message if you have received this
> > message in error.

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Alexandre Rosenfeld
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
> >

> > Hi All,
> >
> >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i find ffmpeg's
> > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>
> Are you making up element names? That element does not exist and neither
> does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.

 Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg ergo...
x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.

Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in the ffmpeg plugin.

   Edward

> Regards,
> Wim
> >
> > Regards,
> > Irfan
> >

> > This message (including any attachment) is confidential and may be
> > legally privileged. Access to this message by anyone other than the
> > intended recipient(s) listed above is unauthorized. If you are not the
> > intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> > copying, or distribution of the message, or any action taken or
> > omission of action by you in reliance upon it, is prohibited and may
> > be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
> > permanently delete all copies of the message if you have received this
> > message in error.

Alexandre Rosenfeld

EngComp 06 - USP São Carlos

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Irfan Shaikh-2
Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Hi Wim,

    According to your reply ffenc_h264 element does not exist and neither does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'. But just going through net i found some pipelines which used ffenc_h264.
Earlier i was also not very sure about exsiting ffmpeg h264 encoder.But needed some clarification.

Can i know in which package can i find h264 encoder used by ffmpeg ergo..... x264.
As Edward told that we we have a plugin : x264enc...Please help me to find the package

Pipelines found on net which used ffenc_h264:

1)gst-launch -v filesrc location=/home/kgupta/testflv/limca.flv ! decodebin name=d ! queue ! videorate ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,height=144,width=176,framerate=\(fraction\)15 1 ! ffenc_h264 ! flutsmux name=mux ! filesink location=limca_aac_h264_faacadts.ts d. ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! audio/x-raw-int, endianness=1234, signed=\(boolean\)true, width=\(int\)16, depth=\(int\)16, rate=(int\)16000,channels=(int\)1 ! faac bitrate=16000 ! mux.

2)gst-launch   cameracapture prio=90 !   queue !  ffmpegcolorspace prio=50   ! queue !   ffenc_h264 prio=50 ! ...

And there are many other to

Thanks for your reply,

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:21 -0300, Alexandre wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>         > On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > Hi All,
>         > >
>         > >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i
>         find ffmpeg's
>         > > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>         >
>         > Are you making up element names? That element does not exist
>         and neither
>         > does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.
>

>          Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg
>         ergo...
>         x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.
>
> Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in
> the ffmpeg plugin.

  If you have ffenc_h264 on your distro, that means they're using the
system wide ffmpeg, most likely compiled with everything-under-the-sun
support (which includes x264).

  So instead of only having one level of abstraction for using x264
(gstplugin-x264enc <=> x264), you have two (gstffmpeg <=>
libavcodec(ffmpeg) <=> x264). Bad for efficiency.

  Oh, and as you might know.. we don't support gst-ffmpeg built with
system-wide ffmpeg.

  Just use x264enc, please.

   Edward,

>            Edward
>

>         >
>         > Regards,
>         > Wim
>         > >
>         > > Regards,
>         > > Irfan
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > This message (including any attachment) is confidential
>         and may be
>         > > legally privileged. Access to this message by anyone other
>         than the
>         > > intended recipient(s) listed above is unauthorized. If you
>         are not the
>         > > intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
>         disclosure,
>         > > copying, or distribution of the message, or any action
>         taken or
>         > > omission of action by you in reliance upon it, is
>         prohibited and may
>         > > be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by reply
>         e-mail and
>         > > permanently delete all copies of the message if you have
>         received this
>         > > message in error.
>         > >
>         > >
>         Developer's challenge
>         > > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK
>         & win great prizes
>         > > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
>         anywhere in the world
>         > > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>         > > _______________________________________________
>         gstreamer-devel mailing list
>         [hidden email]
>         https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         Developer's challenge
>         > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK &
>         win great prizes
>         > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
>         anywhere in the world
>         > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > gstreamer-devel mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel

>         Developer's challenge
>         Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK &
>         win great prizes
>         Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere
>         in the world
>         http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

> Alexandre Rosenfeld
>
> EngComp 06 - USP São Carlos

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

ved kpl
You need to install libx264-dev  first and then install
gst-plugins-bad package that contains x264enc.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Irfan Shaikh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>       Can any one please tell me in which package can i find ffmpeg's H264
> encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>
> Regards,
> Irfan
>
> This message (including any attachment) is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. Access to this message by anyone other than the intended
> recipient(s) listed above is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
> recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or
> distribution of the message, or any action taken or omission of action by
> you in reliance upon it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please
> immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete all
> copies of the message if you have received this message in error.

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Colin Guthrie-6
Alexandre wrote:
> Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in the
> ffmpeg plugin.

Many distros disable h264 codecs in their official builds due to patent
issues IIRC. I know Mandriva do. Perhaps the OPs build is affected in
this way?

On Mandriva you can use the third party PLF repositories to install
identical packages to the official ones but with the "questionable" bits
enabled.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie

Day Job:
Open Source:
   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Francesco Argese
In order to have that plugin you have to install Gst-ffmpeg
(http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/modules/gst-ffmpeg.html). For this
reason it is better if you install gstreamer and all the necessary
plugins from source in orer to have more control on the plugins
intalled.

As written from Colin Guthrie, in some Linux distribution these
plugins aren't packetized so you are obliged to install from source (I
don't know if Mandriva is one of that).

Installing from source those versions I have ffenc_h263 together to
other useful patented codec such as mpeg4 and others.

Hovewer, if you are working on a raw video created by you (for example
captured from  camera), you could use theora to encode the video (the
name of the GstElement to do that is theoraenc), vorbis to encode
music and speex to encode voice. They work well and, probably, you
have it already installed.

Hi
Francesco Argese

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Felipe Contreras
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Irfan Shaikh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Wim,
>
>     According to your reply ffenc_h264 element does not exist and neither
> does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'. But just going through net i found some
> pipelines which used ffenc_h264.
> Earlier i was also not very sure about exsiting ffmpeg h264 encoder.But
> needed some clarification.
>
> Can i know in which package can i find h264 encoder used by ffmpeg ergo.....
> x264.
> As Edward told that we we have a plugin : x264enc...Please help me to find
> the package

FFmpeg has some encoders/decoders on it's own, but on on other cases
it's using an external library. That is the case with the H.264
encoder: it's using libx264. When it does that it uses the name of the
library, as opposed to the name of the codec.

In gst-ffmpeg you get the same name, so you have ffenc_libx264.

There's a wrapper for libx264 in GStreamer, but it's in
gst-plugins-bad, which means it's probably not in a great state.

Last time I tried gst's x264enc produced clips with not so good
quality (bad defaults?) and ffenc_libx264 worked better.

If anyone is interested in proper libx264 support maybe we can work
together as I'm interested too.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Colin Guthrie-6
Francesco Argese wrote:
> As written from Colin Guthrie, in some Linux distribution these
> plugins aren't packetized so you are obliged to install from source (I
> don't know if Mandriva is one of that).

For reference, Mandriva packages the -ffmpeg plugin, but disabled the
questionable codecs in the default version of that package.

We do have an unofficial channel for packages called PLF which provides
an alternative package but compiled with the patented codecs etc. These
packages can be installed as "upgrades" to the official ones. So you do
not need to fiddle around compiling things manually :)

Col

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:21 -0300, Alexandre wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>         On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>>         > On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
>>         > >
>>         > >
>>         > > Hi All,
>>         > >
>>         > >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i
>>         find ffmpeg's
>>         > > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>>         >
>>         > Are you making up element names? That element does not exist
>>         and neither
>>         > does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.
>>

>>          Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg
>>         ergo...
>>         x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.
>>
>> Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in
>> the ffmpeg plugin.
>
>  If you have ffenc_h264 on your distro, that means they're using the
> system wide ffmpeg, most likely compiled with everything-under-the-sun
> support (which includes x264).
>
>  So instead of only having one level of abstraction for using x264
> (gstplugin-x264enc <=> x264), you have two (gstffmpeg <=>
> libavcodec(ffmpeg) <=> x264). Bad for efficiency.
>
>  Oh, and as you might know.. we don't support gst-ffmpeg built with
> system-wide ffmpeg.
>
>  Just use x264enc, please.

So you advocate an element that doesn't work properly vs one that
does, just because it's a GStreamer direct wrapper?

x264enc is in gst-plugins-bad, which suggests it needs work.

By default the output of x264enc looks horrible, I looked at the code
and it turns out the bitrate is assumed in kbit/s when in fact the
param is in bit/s. That wouldn't be a big problem if there wasn't an
artificial limit of 100 * 1024, which means you can't get more than
102.4 kbit/s.

I suggest to do the practical thing and use ffenc_libx264. I've
started an x264enc from scratch, if someone is interested, but it will
take time.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras

Re: ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Felipe Contreras
On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Felipe Contreras
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:21 -0300, Alexandre wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>         On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>>>         > On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
>>>         > >
>>>         > >
>>>         > > Hi All,
>>>         > >
>>>         > >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i
>>>         find ffmpeg's
>>>         > > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>>>         >
>>>         > Are you making up element names? That element does not exist
>>>         and neither
>>>         > does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.
>>>

>>>          Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg
>>>         ergo...
>>>         x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.
>>>
>>> Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in
>>> the ffmpeg plugin.
>>
>>  If you have ffenc_h264 on your distro, that means they're using the
>> system wide ffmpeg, most likely compiled with everything-under-the-sun
>> support (which includes x264).
>>
>>  So instead of only having one level of abstraction for using x264
>> (gstplugin-x264enc <=> x264), you have two (gstffmpeg <=>
>> libavcodec(ffmpeg) <=> x264). Bad for efficiency.
>>
>>  Oh, and as you might know.. we don't support gst-ffmpeg built with
>> system-wide ffmpeg.
>>
>>  Just use x264enc, please.
>
> So you advocate an element that doesn't work properly vs one that
> does, just because it's a GStreamer direct wrapper?
>
> x264enc is in gst-plugins-bad, which suggests it needs work.
>
> By default the output of x264enc looks horrible, I looked at the code
> and it turns out the bitrate is assumed in kbit/s when in fact the
> param is in bit/s. That wouldn't be a big problem if there wasn't an
> artificial limit of 100 * 1024, which means you can't get more than
> 102.4 kbit/s.

Correction, apparently the bitrate is set correctly, but ffenc_libx264
is doing something else that makes the output look ok by default, I
don't know what.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:21 -0300, Alexandre wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Edward Hervey <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>         On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>>>         > On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
>>>         > >
>>>         > >
>>>         > > Hi All,
>>>         > >
>>>         > >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i
>>>         find ffmpeg's
>>>         > > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>>>         >
>>>         > Are you making up element names? That element does not exist
>>>         and neither
>>>         > does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.
>>>

>>>          Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg
>>>         ergo...
>>>         x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.
>>>
>>> Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in
>>> the ffmpeg plugin.
>>
>>  If you have ffenc_h264 on your distro, that means they're using the
>> system wide ffmpeg, most likely compiled with everything-under-the-sun
>> support (which includes x264).
>>
>>  So instead of only having one level of abstraction for using x264
>> (gstplugin-x264enc <=> x264), you have two (gstffmpeg <=>
>> libavcodec(ffmpeg) <=> x264). Bad for efficiency.
>>
>>  Oh, and as you might know.. we don't support gst-ffmpeg built with
>> system-wide ffmpeg.
>>
>>  Just use x264enc, please.
>
> So you advocate an element that doesn't work properly vs one that
> does, just because it's a GStreamer direct wrapper?
>
> x264enc is in gst-plugins-bad, which suggests it needs work.
>
> By default the output of x264enc looks horrible, I looked at the code
> and it turns out the bitrate is assumed in kbit/s when in fact the
> param is in bit/s. That wouldn't be a big problem if there wasn't an
> artificial limit of 100 * 1024, which means you can't get more than
> 102.4 kbit/s.
>
> I suggest to do the practical thing and use ffenc_libx264. I've
> started an x264enc from scratch, if someone is interested, but it will
> take time.

If somebody wants to try it:
git clone git://github.com/felipec/libomxil-g.git
git checkout -b gst origin/gst
make

No properties are handled right now, but x264's defaults work pretty
well (q 10).

--
Felipe Contreras