Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

omer.tal
Hello,

I was using the following pipeline to record my screen, and share it on
Slack, but it couldn't be played without actually downloading the file and
play it with external media player:

gst-launch-1.0 -e ximagesrc endx=1920 ! videoconvert ! x264enc ! mpegtsmux !
filesink location=OSD.mp4

What could it be?

Thanks

Re: Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

Michael Gruner
Hi Jack

I don’t know about the slack part. However the extension of your file is MP4 but your mux is MPEG TS. Maybe the extension/container mismatch confuses slack?

Either rename your file to end with .ts if you want MPEG TS, or replace mpegtsmux with qtmux if your want MP4.

Michael

> On 18 Nov 2020, at 00:08, omer.tal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was using the following pipeline to record my screen, and share it on
> Slack, but it couldn't be played without actually downloading the file and
> play it with external media player:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 -e ximagesrc endx=1920 ! videoconvert ! x264enc ! mpegtsmux !
> filesink location=OSD.mp4
>
> What could it be?
>
> Thanks

Re: Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

omer.tal
Actually with qtmux the results were the same.

Re: Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

Arjen Veenhuizen
This post was updated on .
When using qtmux, try setting  to move the `moov` atom to the beginning of the file by setting faststart = true on qtmux

Re: Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

omer.tal
Hello sir,

Can you please explain your answer. I'm not familiar with the concepts you
used (moov, atom).

Thank you

Re: Video file create with Gstreamer can't be played by Slack

Arjen Veenhuizen
omer.tal wrote
> Hello sir,
>
> Can you please explain your answer. I'm not familiar with the concepts you
> used (moov, atom).
>
> Thank you

Sorry about that, looks like the mailinglist ate the answer. I updated my

Le mercredi 18 novembre 2020 à 00:08 -0600, omer.tal a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I was using the following pipeline to record my screen, and share it on
> Slack, but it couldn't be played without actually downloading the file and
> play it with external media player:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 -e ximagesrc endx=1920 ! videoconvert ! x264enc ! mpegtsmux !
> filesink location=OSD.mp4

Perhaps that would work better in major browsers:

  ... ! x264enc ! video/x-h264,profile=constrained-baseline ! mp4mux ! filesink
location=...

Basically chose a more widely supported encoding profile (otherwise you might
get high-444, which is not supported by any browser) and produce a fast-start
variant of ISOMP4 (headers first), rather then hiding a MPEG TS into a .mp4
file.