Reverse Playback in V1.0

Dave
Dear All,

I am trying to reverse playback direction on a playbin with the 'gst_event_new_seek' but this is not working.  Thinking this may be a bug in my software, I tried the updated tutorials (basic-tutorial-13) with the same result.  With the tutorial, pressing 'd' shows 'Current rate: -1' in the terminal window but the pipe freezes.  Subsequent presses of 'd' result in 'Unable to retrieve the current position' messages.  No other key presses will start the pipeline playing again.  This is the case using the webm or local DV or MJPEG files in MOV wrappers.  Is there a new method to reverse playback?

Regards,
Dave.

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Stefan Sauer
Hi,
On 02/19/2014 04:26 AM, Dave wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to reverse playback direction on a playbin with the
> 'gst_event_new_seek' but this is not working.  Thinking this may be a bug in
> my software, I tried the updated tutorials (basic-tutorial-13) with the same
> result.  With the tutorial, pressing 'd' shows 'Current rate: -1' in the
> terminal window but the pipe freezes.  Subsequent presses of 'd' result in
> 'Unable to retrieve the current position' messages.  No other key presses
> will start the pipeline playing again.  This is the case using the webm or
> local DV or MJPEG files in MOV wrappers.  Is there a new method to reverse
> playback?
Did you try the files with
gst-plugins-base/tests/examples/playback/playback-test 0 <file>

This will bring up the UI to play with the parameters (incl. reverse
playback).

Stefan

> Regards,
> Dave.

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Sebastian Dröge-3
On Mi, 2014-02-19 at 19:46 +0100, Stefan Sauer wrote:

> Hi,
> On 02/19/2014 04:26 AM, Dave wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am trying to reverse playback direction on a playbin with the
> > 'gst_event_new_seek' but this is not working.  Thinking this may be a bug in
> > my software, I tried the updated tutorials (basic-tutorial-13) with the same
> > result.  With the tutorial, pressing 'd' shows 'Current rate: -1' in the
> > terminal window but the pipe freezes.  Subsequent presses of 'd' result in
> > 'Unable to retrieve the current position' messages.  No other key presses
> > will start the pipeline playing again.  This is the case using the webm or
> > local DV or MJPEG files in MOV wrappers.  Is there a new method to reverse
> > playback?
> Did you try the files with
> gst-plugins-base/tests/examples/playback/playback-test 0 <file>
>
> This will bring up the UI to play with the parameters (incl. reverse
> playback).
Also note that there were many bugfixes for reverse playback between
1.2.2 and 1.2.3. So make sure to try with 1.2.3, it might fix a bug
you're running into.

Expertise, Straight from the Source

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Dave
Thanks guys,

I tried the playback test from the plugins-base package with similar results: no reverse playback, seeks failing to return and segmentation faults.  I will setup a fresh OS installation (Ubuntu 13.10 64bit) just to see if I still had any 1.2.2 left in the system.

Regards,
Dave.

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Dave
Hi Guys,

The lack of reverse playback looks like a similar bug to the stream switching in pause problem with seeking.  Through testing with various codec types and containers, I have found the only reliable codec is msmpeg4 in quicktime or avi containers.  All others I have tried will either freeze or seg fault.  I can file a bug report but would this be a GStreamer or plugin bug?

Thanks,
Dave.

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Tim Müller
On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 02:15 -0800, Dave wrote:

Hi Dave,

> The lack of reverse playback looks like a similar bug to the stream
> switching in pause problem with seeking.  Through testing with various codec
> types and containers, I have found the only reliable codec is msmpeg4 in
> quicktime or avi containers.  All others I have tried will either freeze or
> seg fault.  I can file a bug report but would this be a GStreamer or plugin
> bug?

It's usually a bug in some plugin. Note that reverse playback is hard
and it won't work for any kind of file you try it on, but it should of
course never freeze or crash, but at worst should just refuse to do
reverse playback.

Quicktime/mp4 should be very well supported (inc. H264), Ogg/Theora too,
and IIRC WebM also worked at some point. MPEG-TS/MPEG-PS/ASF don't
support reverse playback at the moment (not in 0.10 either, to be sure).

If you encounter any issues, please file bugs against the demuxer in
question (for starters) and make sample files available. Thanks!

Cheers
 -Tim

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Dave
Hi Tim,

I was previously using mjpeg in mov containers which was working in 0.10 but had issues with stream switching.  I chose mjpeg as I wanted I-Frame only files - frame accurate seeks and steps are also a requirement of my application.  My files contain 3 video streams only, no audio or subtitles and I had trouble switching streams in pause (would block when seeking to flush the new stream) or in play where it would pause for no reason.  I ported to 1.2.3 to see if this was fixed (which it was) but could not play in reverse.  So would I file the bug against mjpeg and dv or the mov container?  Matroska containers also have the issue.  I can provide sample files, just let me know where or I can put them on my public dropbox.  I will try Ogg/Theora tomorrow (Adelaide time).  I produce the files from a video capture card so can be flexible in my format (CPU encode overhead permitting).  Refusal to reverse and seek failures I can quite understand but the seek not returning or segmentation faults are much more of a problem.

Regards,
Dave.

Re: Reverse Playback in V1.0

Thiago Santos
On 02/20/2014 09:01 AM, Dave wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I was previously using mjpeg in mov containers which was working in 0.10 but
> had issues with stream switching.  I chose mjpeg as I wanted I-Frame only
> files - frame accurate seeks and steps are also a requirement of my
> application.  My files contain 3 video streams only, no audio or subtitles
> and I had trouble switching streams in pause (would block when seeking to
> flush the new stream) or in play where it would pause for no reason.  I
> ported to 1.2.3 to see if this was fixed (which it was) but could not play
> in reverse.  So would I file the bug against mjpeg and dv or the mov
> container?  Matroska containers also have the issue.  I can provide sample
> files, just let me know where or I can put them on my public dropbox.  I
> will try Ogg/Theora tomorrow (Adelaide time).  I produce the files from a
> video capture card so can be flexible in my format (CPU encode overhead
> permitting).  Refusal to reverse and seek failures I can quite understand
> but the seek not returning or segmentation faults are much more of a
> problem.
Hi,

please file a bug against the container (one for each) and put links
to the relevant samples that are not working.

Thanks!

--
Thiago