I am developing an application on an embedded Intel Udoo reference board with Ubuntu 17.10. Initially I am using gst-launch-1.0 to create a pipeline to playback a reference HEVC/h265 video only file. I should point out, and any h264 video plays without issue, hardware acceleration and all.
The mpv utility will play the reference content correctly. However when I would use gst-play-1.0 or use gst-launch-1.0 with playbin, playback contained quite a bit of macro blocking. I began creating a more in depth pipeline, specifying vaapi drivers, I noticed that once in a while, it would render the video correctly. As I started adding other pieces, it increased the chance of properly rendering the video.
In general, I would have three possible questions. What is there to look for in logging output to help point to a problem. Are there more delay hooks that can be added to the pipeline, or a better pipeline in general, to see if it increases stability. Lastly, would a previous version of Ubuntu (17.04 or 16.04) and its version of gstreamer not have thsee issues.