Mesuring Execution Time for one element in a Gstreamer-1.0 pipeline

Mesuring Execution Time for one element in a Gstreamer-1.0 pipeline

Hamdi
Hi everyone,

I want to measure with great accuracy the execution time for one element in a gstreamer-1.0 pipeLine.

I've already tried GST_DEBUG=4 and searching for the element start and finish times to conclude the time token for running the element, but the problem is that I feel that this Technic is not right and it's giving me false results.

Anyway if anyone knows a better way to do it, it will be great.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Hamdi Rakkez

Re: Mesuring Execution Time for one element in a Gstreamer-1.0 pipeline

Stefan Sauer
Hi Hamadi,

this is not as easy as it sounds :/ One approach would be to add queues before each sink pad and after all source pads of the element. Then you can check the cpu usage of the thread that is on the sink side. Unfortunately this is intrusive and will need a special testing pipeline.

Stefan

On 04/16/2015 03:38 PM, Hamdi Rakkez wrote:
Hi everyone,

I want to measure with great accuracy the execution time for one element in a gstreamer-1.0 pipeLine.

I've already tried GST_DEBUG=4 and searching for the element start and finish times to conclude the time token for running the element, but the problem is that I feel that this Technic is not right and it's giving me false results.

Anyway if anyone knows a better way to do it, it will be great.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Hamdi Rakkez

Re: Mesuring Execution Time for one element in a Gstreamer-1.0 pipeline

Olivier Crête-3
Hello,

You can also do a debug log with GST_DEBUG=GST_SCHEDULING:6 and look how
much time between the "calling" line right before the element and the
one right after. But this only works for elements that don't have
queuing.

Olivier

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 20:28 +0200, Stefan Sauer wrote:

> Hi Hamadi,
>
> this is not as easy as it sounds :/ One approach would be to add
> queues before each sink pad and after all source pads of the element.
> Then you can check the cpu usage of the thread that is on the sink
> side. Unfortunately this is intrusive and will need a special testing
> pipeline.
>
> Stefan
>
> On 04/16/2015 03:38 PM, Hamdi Rakkez wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> > I want to measure with great accuracy the execution time for one
> > element in a gstreamer-1.0 pipeLine.
> >

> > I've already tried GST_DEBUG=4 and searching for the element start
> > and finish times to conclude the time token for running the element,
> > but the problem is that I feel that this Technic is not right and
> > it's giving me false results.
> >

> > Anyway if anyone knows a better way to do it, it will be great.
> >

> > Thank you.
> >

> > Best Regards,
> > Hamdi Rakkez

Olivier Crête

Re: Mesuring Execution Time for one element in a Gstreamer-1.0 pipeline

Hamdi
Hi,

Thank you Stefan and Olivier.

Hamdi

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Olivier Crête <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

You can also do a debug log with GST_DEBUG=GST_SCHEDULING:6 and look how
much time between the "calling" line right before the element and the
one right after. But this only works for elements that don't have
queuing.

Olivier

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 20:28 +0200, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> Hi Hamadi,
>
> this is not as easy as it sounds :/ One approach would be to add
> queues before each sink pad and after all source pads of the element.
> Then you can check the cpu usage of the thread that is on the sink
> side. Unfortunately this is intrusive and will need a special testing
> pipeline.
>
> Stefan
>
> On 04/16/2015 03:38 PM, Hamdi Rakkez wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> > I want to measure with great accuracy the execution time for one
> > element in a gstreamer-1.0 pipeLine.
> >

> > I've already tried GST_DEBUG=4 and searching for the element start
> > and finish times to conclude the time token for running the element,
> > but the problem is that I feel that this Technic is not right and
> > it's giving me false results.
> >

> > Anyway if anyone knows a better way to do it, it will be great.
> >

> > Thank you.
> >

> > Best Regards,
> > Hamdi Rakkez

Olivier Crête