Is there ftpsrc element?

wl2776
Administrator
I am developing a media player with GStreamer, in windows.
I will have to have an option in my program, allowing playing a file from an FTP storage.
Is it possible?

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Sebastian Dröge-7
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 02:06 -0800, wl2776 wrote:
> I am developing a media player with GStreamer, in windows.
> I will have to have an option in my program, allowing playing a file from an
> FTP storage.
> Is it possible?

The gnomevfs and gio plugins can be used for FTP URIs. On Windows GIO
implements at least HTTP, not sure if FTP is also implemented. gnomevfs
probably doesn't run on Windows.

A dedicated FTP source element would be nice to have nonetheless ;)

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Benjamin Otte
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 12:17 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> A dedicated FTP source element would be nice to have nonetheless ;)

No it wouldn't.

Getting FTP code into a state were it mostly works with most FTP servers
is so much of a pain and debugging hassle that it's not worth it.
(Plus, you can insert the usual NIH boilerplate here.)

That said, someone porting gvfs to Windows would be awesome. Just
because it gives you useful support for SMB.

Cheers
Benjamin,

who wrote the gvfs FTP client and is still debugging it way too much.
And who's also actively kicking people into not writing a separate FTP
client for webkit-gtk.

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Sebastian Dröge-7
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 15:42 +0100, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 12:17 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > A dedicated FTP source element would be nice to have nonetheless ;)
> >
> No it wouldn't.
>
> Getting FTP code into a state were it mostly works with most FTP servers
> is so much of a pain and debugging hassle that it's not worth it.
> (Plus, you can insert the usual NIH boilerplate here.)

Of course I didn't mean to write just another FTP implementation...
there must be some library out there that can be used.

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Benjamin Otte
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 16:13 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> Of course I didn't mean to write just another FTP implementation...
> there must be some library out there that can be used.

Getting offtopic now, but whatever:

The reason there is no readily usable FTP implementation is that the use
cases are so different. To give an example: The default error code you
usually get is "550 Operation failed". That is not a problem for a
command line client, because then the user is smart enough to do
something about it. However, a gvfs backend wants to get a GIOError as a
result, so we go through a lot of pain to figure out why the operation
failed (did someone try to copy a nonexisting file? Or a directory? Or
does he have no read permissions? Or...) to allow things like recursive
directory copies inside apps like Nautilus.

So you end up with very different FTP implementations everywhere. And
even if those implementations were libraries (at least curl and gvfs
are), you'd still not use them because they don't match your use case.

Cheers,
Benjamin

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Florent THIERY-2
Hi

Alternatively, you could use gvfs's fuse features to mount your ftp
location, then use the directory in ~/.gvfs with filesrc to read the
input file. Also, curlftpfs can be found, etc...

Florent

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Baby Octopus
Rekindling this discussion. Is there an ftpsrc or sftpsrc element available now?

Re: Is there ftpsrc element?

Mart Raudsepp
Ühel kenal päeval, K, 03.02.2016 kell 00:18, kirjutas Baby Octopus:
> Rekindling this discussion. Is there an ftpsrc or sftpsrc element
> available
> now?

Perhaps giosrc (available since long ago) is capable of what you need,
provided you have the relevant gvfs protocol handlers installed?
It does seem to provide URI handlers for ftp, ftps, ssh and sftp.
Never tried it personally though.

Mart