Is CUDA mandatory for NVENC usage?

Oleg Krutov
I run many KVM guests that share NVIDIA GRID card in vGPU mode. With windows 10, RDP on a guest can hardware acceleration and it's just working. But Linux guests have SPICE, and the only way (AFAIK) to get hw acceleration there is spice-streaming-agent with gst-plugin that has NVENC support. But NVENC in gstreamer requires CUDA on guests. As Nvidia doc says, CUDA is available only in vGPU configurationS that cover all of physical chip memory. So, M10 GRID card has 4 physical chips, and there is 8 1Gbyte-VRAM configuration per chip, so 32 guests may be run with this card and that is ok, but no CUDA and no hw acceleration. To use NVENC, one have to use 8Gbytes-VRAM vGPU configuration and only 4 guests can be run. That is very sad :( Are there some workarounds to get rid of CUDA?
 Thanks in advance!

Re: Is CUDA mandatory for NVENC usage?

Peter Maersk-Moller-2

Note that there is a button on the Nvidia encode matrix page to expand it to a full list.

Regards
Peter Maersk-Moller

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 7:29 PM Oleg Krutov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply!

But my question was rather about CUDA dependency of NVENC plugin in gstreamer-plugins-bad. I do know that my hardware configuration is capable to use NVENC... But in win only :(