Intel VAAPI Max number parallel encode

Frederic Turmel
Hi, how to know how many VAAPI elements you can leverage at the same time. I could not find so far any good spec for Intel GPU.
All I find is that encode is supported but can't locate how many simultaneous encodes at what resolution.

Anything better beside trial and error?

Thanks
FredT

Re: Intel VAAPI Max number parallel encode

Olivier Crête-3
Hi,

There is no specific limit of instances with Intel VAAPI drivers, it should degrade gracefully as you add more. As for the number of a specific type per GPU, I don't think Intel publishes any claims, but in my experience, it depends on a lot of factors, such as the generation of the CPU/GPU, the speed of the RAM, the encoding options, etc. So you're really stuck with trial and error (or at least benchmarking) to see how many you can do in real time. The "intel_gpu_top" tool can help.

Olivier

On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 12:57 -0800, Frederic Turmel wrote:
Hi, how to know how many VAAPI elements you can leverage at the same time. I could not find so far any good spec for Intel GPU.
All I find is that encode is supported but can't locate how many simultaneous encodes at what resolution.

Anything better beside trial and error?

Thanks
FredT

Olivier Crête [hidden email]

Re: Intel VAAPI Max number parallel encode

Stephenwei
HI,
Maybe you can find a two-minute file to decode to know how long to finish
it.

-----
GStreamer is a convenient multimedia platform, I like it.
Develop the NVR system on ARM/x86(c/python)
Use python to generate NVR is crazy, of course works fine.