In-band (private) messages over the network

In-band (private) messages over the network

Wes Miller
I have two gstgrtpbins on opposite ends of a connection passing pcma/rtp/udp data.

If I send a custom downstream event into the sender side pipeline, and don't pick it back out, will it be transmitted over the network so it is visible to the receiver side?

Assuming the answer to that is yes, do I inject the event into the udpsink:sink pad or farther upstream?  Likewise, where should the event probe go on the receiver pipe?  At the same place (from a caps point of view) that the event was added, i.e. if it goes in at the pcmaenc:sink, take it out at the pcmadec:src?

Thanks,

Wes

Re: In-band (private) messages over the network

Olivier Crête-3
On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 07:35 -0700, Wes Miller wrote:
> I have two gstgrtpbins on opposite ends of a connection passing pcma/rtp/udp
> data.
>
> If I send a custom downstream event into the sender side pipeline, and don't
> pick it back out, will it be transmitted over the network so it is visible
> to the receiver side?

No, unless it is a force key unit event and you have the right caps.
There is no code to transform other events into RTCP messages. If you
want to send custom information, you have two choices, to can add custom
headers to the RTP packets or you can add APP reports to the RTCP
packets. RTCP packets are less frequent (although there is an API to
generate them on-demand).

And then you can code in the receiver to read those back.

--
Olivier Crête

Re: In-band (private) messages over the network

Wes Miller
Interesting.  About a year ago I asked a similar question for which I got a response from Stefan  that I never got to work with it.  I asked about using a dummy frame of data to encode information but he said:

    You can just send a custome synchronized event. That is essentially a named
    gst structure. And you can just pluck that with an event-pad probe on the receiver side.

I looked at sending events and some thing looked like they could work, but nothing definitive till your answer.  But, if you are correct, what did Stefan mean?

Wes