Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

Christian Kreibich
Hi there,

I'm using a Logitech C920 webcam and wonder whether I can convince the
applications using the camera (particularly Google Hangouts) to use a
better resolution than the fairly horrible 640x480 I'm currently stuck
with. I can easily get higher-resolution video off this camera using e.g.

  gst-launch-1.0 -v -e v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! queue \
     ! video/x-h264,width=800,height=448,framerate=30/1 ! h264parse \
     ! avdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false

I don't know much about gstreamer but from some digging it looks like on
my Fedora 20 box Google's talkplugin uses gstreamer-0.10. I've managed
to build libgstuvch264.so from the 0.10 git branch and add it to my
installation, as I read that it adds support for H.264. However, this
alone seems to make no difference -- the resolution is still crap.

Is there anything else I can do here, or do I need to wait until the
webcam-using applications bump up to gstreamer 1.0?

Thanks,
-C.

Re: Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

Stefan Sauer
On 02/25/2014 04:15 AM, Christian Kreibich wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using a Logitech C920 webcam and wonder whether I can convince the
> applications using the camera (particularly Google Hangouts) to use a
> better resolution than the fairly horrible 640x480 I'm currently stuck
> with. I can easily get higher-resolution video off this camera using e.g.
>
>   gst-launch-1.0 -v -e v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! queue \
>      ! video/x-h264,width=800,height=448,framerate=30/1 ! h264parse \
>      ! avdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false
>
> I don't know much about gstreamer but from some digging it looks like on
> my Fedora 20 box Google's talkplugin uses gstreamer-0.10.
Can you cite some reference?
> I've managed
> to build libgstuvch264.so from the 0.10 git branch and add it to my
> installation, as I read that it adds support for H.264. However, this
> alone seems to make no difference -- the resolution is still crap.
>
> Is there anything else I can do here, or do I need to wait until the
> webcam-using applications bump up to gstreamer 1.0?
I guess you have to request the feature from the application developers.
If for some reason the app requests 640x480, there is not much you can
do by upgrading components. But also that theory needs to be checked.

Stefan

> Thanks,
> -C.

Re: Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

Christian Kreibich
Hey Stefan,

On 02/25/2014 01:34 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
>> I don't know much about gstreamer but from some digging it looks like on
>> my Fedora 20 box Google's talkplugin uses gstreamer-0.10.
>
> Can you cite some reference?

Well, I based this on the libraries shown by lsof on my Firefox
processes while in a Hangout session. However, I've now noticed that
when I run Chrome (where things don't look any better), the same plugin
code gets used but none of the involved processes show gstreamer-related
libraries -- so perhaps I spoke too soon? I'll ask on the hangout forum.
(Obviously, if anyone knows details about what's driving Google's talk
plugin, feel free to email me off-list.)

However, let me start from the other end -- for cheese (3.10.2), for
example, it seems gstreamer 1.0 is involved (judging from a pldd on the
cheese process, which shows a ton of stuff below
/usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/) but I still can't seem to get the resolution
past 640x480. Is the resolution constraint a limit of this particular
cheese version, or can I do something to improve it?

Thanks,
-C.

Re: Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

Olivier Crête-3
On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 16:35 -0800, Christian Kreibich wrote:

> Hey Stefan,
>
> On 02/25/2014 01:34 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> >> I don't know much about gstreamer but from some digging it looks like on
> >> my Fedora 20 box Google's talkplugin uses gstreamer-0.10.
> >
> > Can you cite some reference?
>
> Well, I based this on the libraries shown by lsof on my Firefox
> processes while in a Hangout session. However, I've now noticed that
> when I run Chrome (where things don't look any better), the same plugin
> code gets used but none of the involved processes show gstreamer-related
> libraries -- so perhaps I spoke too soon? I'll ask on the hangout forum.
> (Obviously, if anyone knows details about what's driving Google's talk
> plugin, feel free to email me off-list.)
>
> However, let me start from the other end -- for cheese (3.10.2), for
> example, it seems gstreamer 1.0 is involved (judging from a pldd on the
> cheese process, which shows a ton of stuff below
> /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/) but I still can't seem to get the resolution
> past 640x480. Is the resolution constraint a limit of this particular
> cheese version, or can I do something to improve it?

The Google Talk plugin definitely doesn't use GStreamer. You probably
saw it there because Firefox can use GStreamer for h.264 playback. That
said, Cheese definitely uses GStreamer and the c920 can definitely do
higher resolutions than 640x480.

--
Olivier Crête

On 02/28/2014 01:35 AM, Christian Kreibich wrote:
[...]

I think cheese is a better candidate to investigate, as it is definitely using gstreamer and is open source.

Can you run
GST_DEBUG="v4l2*:4" gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src num-buffers=1 ! autovideosink
and post the log.

On 02/28/2014 01:47 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> Can you run
> GST_DEBUG="v4l2*:4" gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src num-buffers=1 ! autovideosink
> and post the log.

Here you go Stefan -- attached.

Thanks!
-C.

debug.log (18K) Download Attachment

On 03/01/2014 09:20 PM, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> On 02/28/2014 01:47 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
>> Can you run
>> GST_DEBUG="v4l2*:4" gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src num-buffers=1 ! autovideosink
>> and post the log.
> Here you go Stefan -- attached.
>
> Thanks!
> -C.

As you can see from the log, the camera is only providing up to 640x480
as video/x-raw. Even image/jpeg is only produced up to 640x480. Higher
resolutions are only provided as video/x-h264, which is most likely not
what most VC apps handle automatically already. Cheese could probably
plug a decodebin into the camera source.

Stefan

On 03/02/2014 12:33 PM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> As you can see from the log, the camera is only providing up to 640x480
> as video/x-raw. Even image/jpeg is only produced up to 640x480. Higher
> resolutions are only provided as video/x-h264, which is most likely not
> what most VC apps handle automatically already.

Yeah, got it. Thanks Stefan.

(If anyone could recommend cameras to me off-list that work better on
Linux, I'd be grateful. Thanks.)

-C.

Re: Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

Olivier Crête-3
Hi,

You seem to be wrong, I can get 1920x1080 at 5fps as jpeg from my C920,
if you want more FPS, you have to use H.264 because the USB bus isn't so
fast. I can even run 2 C920s at 1280x720 at 10fps in jpeg mode.

Olivier

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 14:13 -0800, Christian Kreibich wrote:

> On 03/02/2014 12:33 PM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> > As you can see from the log, the camera is only providing up to 640x480
> > as video/x-raw. Even image/jpeg is only produced up to 640x480. Higher
> > resolutions are only provided as video/x-h264, which is most likely not
> > what most VC apps handle automatically already.
>
> Yeah, got it. Thanks Stefan.
>
> (If anyone could recommend cameras to me off-list that work better on
> Linux, I'd be grateful. Thanks.)
>
> -C.

Olivier Crête

Re: Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

jonsmirl@gmail.com
C920 is one of the best webcams on the market. If you aren't getting good performance out of it, it is the app that is misbehaving not the webcam.

Having said that in the last few years dual stream cameras have been showing up. Those cameras support  two /dev/video devices. One device is used to access the stream in uncompressed form for the local preview display. The second stream is sent out onto the Internet in h.264 without ever being decoded by the local app. Skype supports this camera type and gives it Gold certification.

It could be that Hangouts wants one of these newer two-stream cameras.  AFAIK there is no way to tell what kind of camera Hangouts wants and most questions of this type to Google go unanswered.

With a single stream camera like the C920 Hangouts needs to decode two compressed streams simultaneously - the local one from the C920 and the remote one. Almost all desktops have plenty of CPU to do this. But instead Google could be accessing the uncompressed stream from the C920 and then software compressing it with VP8. 800x448 is the largest uncompressed stream with 30fps available.  But that is a non-standard size. So next size down if 640x480 for uncompressed.

What Hangouts should be doing is access the 720P h.264 stream and decode it locally on any desktop with enough CPU power (which is 99% of them).

Here are the C920 formats....

jonsmirl@terra:/work/libav$ v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --list-formats-ext
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
Index       : 0
Type        : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'YUYV'
Name        : YUV 4:2:2 (YUYV)
Size: Discrete 640x480
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 160x90
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 160x120
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 176x144
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 320x180
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 320x240
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 352x288
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 432x240
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 640x360
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 800x448
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 800x600
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 864x480
Interval: Discrete 0.042 s (24.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050 s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 960x720
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1024x576
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1280x720
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1600x896
Interval: Discrete 0.133 s (7.500 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1920x1080
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 2304x1296
Interval: Discrete 0.500 s (2.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 2304x1536
Interval: Discrete 0.500 s (2.000 fps)

Index       : 1
Type        : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'H264' (compressed)
Name        : H.264
[...]

Index       : 2
Type        : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'MJPG' (compressed)
Name        : MJPEG

jonsmirl@terra:/work/libav$

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Olivier Crête <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

You seem to be wrong, I can get 1920x1080 at 5fps as jpeg from my C920,
if you want more FPS, you have to use H.264 because the USB bus isn't so
fast. I can even run 2 C920s at 1280x720 at 10fps in jpeg mode.

Olivier

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 14:13 -0800, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> On 03/02/2014 12:33 PM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> > As you can see from the log, the camera is only providing up to 640x480
> > as video/x-raw. Even image/jpeg is only produced up to 640x480. Higher
> > resolutions are only provided as video/x-h264, which is most likely not
> > what most VC apps handle automatically already.
>
> Yeah, got it. Thanks Stefan.
>
> (If anyone could recommend cameras to me off-list that work better on
> Linux, I'd be grateful. Thanks.)
>
> -C.

Olivier Crête

Jon Smirl

Re: Improve default resolution for a Logitech C920 webcam?

krakorar
Hi Jon,

The C920 can provide H.264 and raw video simultaneously via MJPEG wrapper (one video device) via the Multiplexed Payload Format described in the attached specification (USB Device Class Definition for Video Devices: H.264 Payload).  Youness Alaoui, of Collabora, wrote a GStreamer 0.10 plugin for it over two years ago and it was ported to GStreamer 1.0 almost a year ago.  It can provide H.264 and uncompressed (for video preview) simultaneously.  I find it odd that Hangouts does not support this veteran and quite popular camera.  There is also a C930e which came out late last summer which is supposed to improve on quality.  I have one, but have yet to have time to mess with it.  However, Paulo Assis has worked with it quite extensively for his guvcview tool.

Best Regards,

Rob Krakora

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

jonsmirl@terra:/work/libav$

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Olivier Crête <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

You seem to be wrong, I can get 1920x1080 at 5fps as jpeg from my C920,
if you want more FPS, you have to use H.264 because the USB bus isn't so
fast. I can even run 2 C920s at 1280x720 at 10fps in jpeg mode.

Olivier

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 14:13 -0800, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> On 03/02/2014 12:33 PM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> > As you can see from the log, the camera is only providing up to 640x480
> > as video/x-raw. Even image/jpeg is only produced up to 640x480. Higher
> > resolutions are only provided as video/x-h264, which is most likely not
> > what most VC apps handle automatically already.
>
> Yeah, got it. Thanks Stefan.
>
> (If anyone could recommend cameras to me off-list that work better on

Olivier Crête

Jon Smirl

Rob Krakora,
Senior Software Engineer

MessageNet Systems
101 E Carmel Dr, Suite 105
Carmel, IN 46032

MessageNetSystems.com
[hidden email]
P:
317.566.1677, 212
F:
317.663.0808

For the latest news, information, and blogs, please be sure to visit, follow, and like us...

USB_Video_Payload_H 264_1 0.pdf (1M) Download Attachment