Quantcast

GStreamer SDK – Preview Release for iOS

Sebastian Dröge-7
Hi everbody,

Collabora and Fluendo are currently working on adding support for iOS to
the GStreamer SDK at gstreamer.com. This includes GStreamer 0.10 and
all relevant plugins, and their dependencies. Additionally new
audio/video sinks are available for iOS. Support for the codecs on iOS
devices is not included because Apple does not provide any public API to
access them at all. This should all work on the iOS simulator and on any
iOS devices that run iOS 6.0 or newer, which means iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5,
iPad 2/3/4/5, iPad Mini and iPod Touch 4/5th generation.

We're inviting you to test a preview release of this with your
existing iOS applications that are using GStreamer, and report any bugs
or other comments to http://bugs.freedesktop.org (product GStreamer SDK)
or to myself.

Developing and building applications against this is already possible
and will be supported in the future, including commercial support by
Collabora and Fluendo. The final public release will be made in about a
month, which will also include documentation for iOS and new versions of
the SDK for all previously supported platforms with various
improvements.

For developing with the GStreamer SDK for iOS you need XCode 4.6 and OS
X Lion or newer versions. After installing the GStreamer SDK you'll find
new templates/wizards in XCode for creating GStreamer projects. For
running your applications on a real device and not just the simulator
(which is included in XCode), you need a subscription to the Apple iOS
Developer Programme.

You can downloading the GStreamer SDK for iOS here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/gstreamer-sdk/data/packages/ios/

A sample playback application can be found here:
https://github.com/ylatuya/gst-ios-apps/tree/master/GstPlayer

Kind regards,
Sebastian

On Mi, 2013-04-24 at 09:54 -0400, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> This is great news and great work! There is already a port of FFMPEG
> for iOS, so the CODECs can be dealt with. I assume that the GStreamer
> support for FFMPEG is already ported.

Well, ffmpeg/libav only supports software codecs on iOS. So it's not
really an optimal solution for HD video :)

Re: GStreamer SDK – Preview Release for iOS

Chuck Crisler-2
Thank you Apple!

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Sebastian Dröge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mi, 2013-04-24 at 09:54 -0400, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> This is great news and great work! There is already a port of FFMPEG
> for iOS, so the CODECs can be dealt with. I assume that the GStreamer
> support for FFMPEG is already ported.

Well, ffmpeg/libav only supports software codecs on iOS. So it's not
really an optimal solution for HD video :)

Re: GStreamer SDK – Preview Release for iOS

Kyrylo V Polezhaiev
Awesome! Will test it today.

And what about compatibility between LGPL and AppStore?

On Do, 2013-04-25 at 09:39 +0300, Kyrylo V Polezhaiev wrote:
> Awesome! Will test it today.
>
> And what about compatibility between LGPL and AppStore?

Read this, especially the example at the bottom :)
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/common/tree/README.static-linking

Re: GStreamer SDK – Preview Release for iOS

Kyrylo V Polezhaiev
Tried to install on two macs with OS X 10.8.3:
- at my home computer the package failed to install cause problems with package signing.
- at my work computer the installation has been terminated at "Writing files" with message "The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance".

Re[2]: GStreamer SDK – Preview Release for iOS

Kyrylo V Polezhaiev
Installation works from command line:
$ sudo installer -pkg gstreamer-sdk-devel-2013.04-ios-universal.pkg -target /

> Tried to install on two macs with OS X 10.8.3:
> - at my home computer the package failed to install cause problems with package signing.
> - at my work computer the installation has been terminated at "Writing files" with message "The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance".

Re: GStreamer SDK – Preview Release for iOS

Andoni Morales

2013/4/25 Kyrylo V Polezhaiev <[hidden email]>
Tried to install on two macs with OS X 10.8.3:
- at my home computer the package failed to install cause problems with package signing.

OS X 10.8 requires packages to be signed, although you can change this option and allow installing unsigned packages in:
System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Tab ‘General’

For the release we will make sure that the package is properly signed.

- at my work computer the installation has been terminated at "Writing files" with message "The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance".

Being a work computer, does it have any special restriction?

Cheers,
Andoni

Andoni Morales Alastruey

LongoMatch:The Digital Coach