Does decodebin need parser

deeps8us
I have a decoder available for my codec. When trying from the app, Decodebin
is trying my decoder, but not selecting.

GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY
gstelementfactory.c:851:gst_element_factory_list_filter: Trying
<my_plugin>
playbin gstplaybin2.c:4193:autoplug_factories_cb:<media_pipeline> found
factories (nil)

Issue looks very similar to
http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/MP3-playback-td4665707.html
where they solved by adding a parser.
I dont have a parser element.  If appropriate decoder is present, why is
parser required?

Re: Does decodebin need parser

Nicolas Dufresne-5
Le mardi 24 mars 2020 à 10:47 -0500, deeps8us a écrit :

> I have a decoder available for my codec. When trying from the app, Decodebin
> is trying my decoder, but not selecting.
>
> GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY
> gstelementfactory.c:851:gst_element_factory_list_filter: Trying
> <my_plugin>
> playbin gstplaybin2.c:4193:autoplug_factories_cb:<media_pipeline> found
> factories (nil)
>
> Issue looks very similar to
> http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/MP3-playback-td4665707.html
> where they solved by adding a parser.
> I dont have a parser element.  If appropriate decoder is present, why is
> parser required?

To avoid a parser, you need to make sure that you don't add field that
are not produced by demuxers/depayload/etc. in your template caps.
There is other reason you'd need a parser, but we have so little detail
that it's hard to give you more information.

Le mardi 24 mars 2020 à 13:04 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne a écrit :

> Le mardi 24 mars 2020 à 10:47 -0500, deeps8us a écrit :
> > I have a decoder available for my codec. When trying from the app, Decodebin
> > is trying my decoder, but not selecting.
> >
> > GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY
> > gstelementfactory.c:851:gst_element_factory_list_filter: Trying
> > <my_plugin>
> > playbin gstplaybin2.c:4193:autoplug_factories_cb:<media_pipeline> found
> > factories (nil)
> >
> > Issue looks very similar to
> > http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/MP3-playback-td4665707.html
> > where they solved by adding a parser.
> > I dont have a parser element.  If appropriate decoder is present, why is
> > parser required?
>
> To avoid a parser, you need to make sure that you don't add field that
> are not produced by demuxers/depayload/etc. in your template caps.
> There is other reason you'd need a parser, but we have so little detail
> that it's hard to give you more information.

(please note that nabble emails does not maintain the threads properly,
so we loose the context each time you reply. Considering using the
Mailing List, or filing bugs against Nabble).