Can an element dynamically add/remove another element in the pipeline?

Can an element dynamically add/remove another element in the pipeline?

James Ausmus
Hi, I have a question that I'm not seeing a clear answer to:

If I have a pipeline set up as such (simplified):

Source->Decode'and'Sink

Could the "Decode'and'Sink", and any arbitrary time during the
execution of the pipeline (while the stream is playing), stop actually
sinking and add another element to the pipeline, like such:

Source->Decode'and'Sink(but not really sink right now)->Different Sink

and then, at some arbitrary point later, remove the "Different Sink"
element and begin actually sinking again?

Thanks!

-James

Re: Can an element dynamically add/remove another element in the pipeline?

Stefan Sauer
hi,
James Ausmus schrieb:

> Hi, I have a question that I'm not seeing a clear answer to:
>
> If I have a pipeline set up as such (simplified):
>
> Source->Decode'and'Sink
>
> Could the "Decode'and'Sink", and any arbitrary time during the
> execution of the pipeline (while the stream is playing), stop actually
> sinking and add another element to the pipeline, like such:
>
> Source->Decode'and'Sink(but not really sink right now)->Different Sink
>
> and then, at some arbitrary point later, remove the "Different Sink"
> element and begin actually sinking again?

Yes, elements can be dynamically relinked. Its unfortunately not totally free.
You need to read, understand and follow gstreamer/docs/design/part-block.txt

Stefan