Building, shipping single plugin from -bad

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Building, shipping single plugin from -bad

Eric Jonas
A software project I'm developing compiles for Ubuntu LTS 8.04, but we
need the plugin dc1394 (which I helped write), that currently lives in
the latest release of -bad.  

I'd like to do the following:

1. build only the dc1394 plugin from the newest version of -bad (or,
optionally, CVS)

2. name the plugin something such that users won't confuse my
frankenstein configuration for something supported by gstreamer, ubuntu,
etc.

3. package and ship this as a .deb for ubuntu

Clearly #3 is something I should bug the ubuntu people about, but I'm at
a bit of a loss for #1 and #2. I assume this comes up when you guys are
testing plugins, etc. And I know that it's possible to dynamically
ship/install plugins for gst, and that many distros (including ubuntu)
have support for this (cf Fluendo mp3 codecs). But I'm somewhat at a
loss here.

I think that I can address #1 by using the --with-plugins=dc1394
configure option. So then, we just need to rename it, or come up with
some other recommended scheme of differentiating it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
        ...Eric


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
gstreamer-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building, shipping single plugin from -bad

Arnout Vandecappelle
On Tuesday 28 October 2008 13:54:28 Eric Jonas wrote:
> 1. build only the dc1394 plugin from the newest version of -bad (or,
> optionally, CVS)
>
> 2. name the plugin something such that users won't confuse my
> frankenstein configuration for something supported by gstreamer, ubuntu,
> etc.
>
> 3. package and ship this as a .deb for ubuntu

 Messing with the --with-... configure options will also mess up your
debianisation, so that's probably not the easiest way to go.

 I did the following in a similar situation.

1. Get a debianized gstreamer plugin skeleton from something small, e.g. one
of Fluendo's packages or ffmpeg.  -good, -bad and -ugly have really complex
debian/rules files which are pain to adapt.

2. Throw out everything from that package: gst/, ext/ and test/ subdirs.

3. Copy (and rename) in your plugin from -bad/gst or -bad/ext and copy the
tests from -bad/test.

4. Update configure.ac and Makefile.am accordingly.  Also remove any unneeded
dependencies from configure.ac and add the ones you do need.

You can test compilation of your new plugin package at this point.

5. Update the debian/ files.  You need to have a changelog, control and rules.

 That should be it!

 If you like I can send you a debian source tree with one small plugin.  It's
2.5MB so I'm not going to put it on the list :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540
Essensium/Mind                                     http://www.mind.be
G.Geenslaan 9, 3001 Leuven, Belgium                BE 872 984 063 RPR Leuven
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/arnoutvandecappelle
GPG fingerprint:  D206 D44B 5155 DF98 550D  3F2A 2213 88AA A1C7 C933

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
gstreamer-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Building, shipping single plugin from -bad

Stefan Sauer
In reply to this post by Eric Jonas
hi,
Eric Jonas schrieb:
> A software project I'm developing compiles for Ubuntu LTS 8.04, but we
> need the plugin dc1394 (which I helped write), that currently lives in
> the latest release of -bad.  
>  
I would also encourage you to make sure it gets moved to -good.
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/docs/random/moving-plugins?view=markup

If you think the checklist is done, file a blocker bug and request the move.

Stefan

> I'd like to do the following:
>
> 1. build only the dc1394 plugin from the newest version of -bad (or,
> optionally, CVS)
>
> 2. name the plugin something such that users won't confuse my
> frankenstein configuration for something supported by gstreamer, ubuntu,
> etc.
>
> 3. package and ship this as a .deb for ubuntu
>
> Clearly #3 is something I should bug the ubuntu people about, but I'm at
> a bit of a loss for #1 and #2. I assume this comes up when you guys are
> testing plugins, etc. And I know that it's possible to dynamically
> ship/install plugins for gst, and that many distros (including ubuntu)
> have support for this (cf Fluendo mp3 codecs). But I'm somewhat at a
> loss here.
>
> I think that I can address #1 by using the --with-plugins=dc1394
> configure option. So then, we just need to rename it, or come up with
> some other recommended scheme of differentiating it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> ...Eric
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> _______________________________________________
> gstreamer-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel
>  


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
gstreamer-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel